Recorded TV Manager Media Center Add-in Beta 3
Back to download page
Using Play Next with Zune
Next to play the
next episode in a recorded TV series collection, regardless as to where it
is stored on the Home Server network. The Play Next collections
list represents a subset of the complete recorded TV collection. The
subset is defined by setting collection rules in the Recorded TV Manager tab
on the Windows Home Server Console.
What is a Collection?
In order for a series collection to appear on the Play Next page
in Media Center, the following conditions must be met:
- In the Recorded TV Manager tab on the Windows Home Server Console,
in the Collections Wizard, the series collection is
Also see Using Advanced
to define a Collection.
- In the Collections Wizard, the series is NOT being
watched on a
specific Media Center computer.
- There is at least one current recording of the series.
Back to top
What is the 'Next Episode'?
The 'Next Episode' to play is determined as follows:
- If the 'last watched episode' is known, then the
next episode is the next recording selected by original air date.
- If the last watched episode is not indicated, then the next episode
is always the first one by original air date.
- Sometimes the recordings do not have valid original air date
information. In those cases, the "next episode" is somewhat random
but will probably follow date recorded.
- For WTV files (Vista TV Pack and Windows 7), the original air date
is the same as the date recorded, so selection is always based on date
Back to top
Using Play Next
The Play Next page
has a scrollable list of series collections (as defined
above) on the left hand side of the
screen. Each series in the list also indicates the number of current
recordings in parenthesis. The right side of the screen indicates the
currently selected series and the next episode (as defined
above). Select the series to play
and then click OK to play the next episode of the selected series within
Vista Media Center.
When you play the next episode from the Play Next page, the
Series Info database will be updated as follows:
- The episode is checked if the Check on Play option
is enabled for this series. Use the Series Info dialog in Recorded TV Manager
3 to set the Check on Play option.
- The date watched of the episode is set to the
- The last watched episode of the series is set to
- The software will issue a series update request. See
Series Info Update Issues
After playing the selected episode, Media Center will return to the
Next page. Click Delete to delete the recording.
Deleting the recording from the Play Next page will automatically
check the episode (it will issue another Series Info Update
request.) Control will then return to the Media Center Start
The last watched episode for a series can be changed using the Recorded
TV Manager 3.
- Start Recorded TV Manager 3 on a network computer.
- From the Tools menu select Series Info...
- Select the series in the drop-down list.
- Right-click on the episode and select Last
Back to top
Using Advanced to
define a Collection
Instead of using the Collections Wizard, you can use the
Advanced button on the Settings page to
manually define collection rules.
- On the Recorded TV Manager tab on the Home Server Console, click
Settings to open the Recorded TV Manager Settings page.
- Under AutoCopy Service click Advanced...
- Use the AutoCopy Rules dialog to set up collection
rules. Create an OnCreate rule for each series
you wish to include on the Play Next page.
- Click OK to close the AutoCopy Rules dialog.
- Important: After making modifications to the rules, you
MUST click Apply on the Settings page in
order to save the changes.
Back to top